What Should I Do If I Have Been in a Car Accident?
An auto accident lawyer Lakeland, FL clients recommends understands that no matter what type of car accident you are in, it can leave you worried and confused about what you should do next. Car accidents are stressful regardless if it was a head-on collision or a fender bender. If you have been in a car accident, you may want to have an auto accident attorney on your side.
The professionals at David & Philpot, PL have over 20 years of experience in personal injury cases for Lakeland families. We will work on your behalf to try and ensure you are compensated for your injuries and belongings fairly.
Steps Following a Car Accident
There are a few steps to take right after you have been in a car accident:
- If anyone is injured, you should call an ambulance.
- If it is necessary and possible, move your car out of the way of oncoming traffic to avoid any potential new accidents.
- You will need to call the police to file a police report. This is especially important if there has been a death, serious bodily harm, or a large amount of property damage.
- It is also important to obtain the information from the other driver as well as any witnesses. If there is any evidence, it is also important to collect it as quickly as possible.
- Do not leave the scene of the accident, unless you are seriously injured and need to be transported to the hospital. If you leave the scene of the accident, it is considered a “hit and run”. This could result in felony or misdemeanor charges in addition to a large fine.
Evidence from the Accident Scene
It is very crucial to obtain any evidence from the accident scene as quickly as possible. For example, weather conditions may change by the time police officers get to the accident. Another example would be to take pictures of any injuries as soon as possible to show how severe the injury is at the time of the accident. When collecting evidence from the scene of an accident, it is important to:
1. Trade information with the other parties involved, including:
- Addresses, telephone numbers, etc.
- License plate numbers
- Insurance information
- Vehicle’s make, model, color, and year
- Driver’s license number
- Vehicle registration number for each car
- Take a statement from any and all willing witnesses
- It is also important to obtain their names and contact information.
2. Take pictures of:
- Physical injuries
- Evidence that would show road or weather conditions
- Vehicle damage
Should I Hire a Lakeland Auto Accident Lawyer?
It is recommended you hire an auto accident lawyer if you’ve suffered a large amount of property damage or if you have been injured at all during a car accident. Car accidents are an extremely stressful event. In addition to taking care of your injuries, you will have to deal with multiple insurance companies that have their own teams of experienced lawyers.
By hiring an auto accident lawyer from David & Philpot, PL, you will have someone on your side to work with the insurance company’s attorneys, see your accident more objectively, and work to help you get the best possible settlement. Contact an auto accident lawyer Lakeland, FL residents trust from David & Philpot, PL today for a consultation.