Rideshare apps like Lyft have made it easier for Florida residents to get around. Lyft is more affordable than taxis and you don’t have to worry about finding parking. However, when something goes wrong and an accident happens, it can turn a simple Lyft ride into a nightmare. However, you do have the right to sue for compensation. It’s important to consult a Lyft accident lawyer in Lakeland, Florida at David & Philpot about your case.
Who Is Liable in a Lyft Accident?
A Lyft accident is more complex than a typical car accident, as liability isn’t always clear. In traditional car accidents, the at-fault driver is entirely responsible for the damages. However, Lyft requires drivers to carry their own personal auto insurance policy and will provide additional coverage in certain situations.
As a Lyft accident lawyer in Lakeland, Florida can confirm, Lyft only covers rideshare drivers during Periods 2 and 3. Period 2 begins when the driver accepts a ride request and is on the way to pick up the passenger. Period 3 begins when the passenger gets into a Lyft vehicle. When a Lyft driver is waiting for a ride request during Period 1, he or she doesn’t have any coverage from Lyft.
What Should I Do If I’m Involved in a Lyft Accident?
Getting into an accident when you’re a passenger in a Lyft vehicle can be scary and confusing. However, the steps you take immediately after can have a big impact in your personal injury case. Here are the steps a Lyft accident lawyer in Lakeland, Florida suggests taking.
- Contact the Police: Ask your Lyft driver to call the police. If he or she is unable to do so, contact them yourself on your smartphone. When they come to the scene of the accident, they will make a report that includes details about the accident.
- Talk to Witnesses: If there were witnesses present at the time of the Lyft accident, don’t be afraid to ask for their names and contact information. They may be able to provide helpful information for your case.
- Seek Medical Attention: If you were injured in a Lyft accident, you should see a doctor as soon as possible. He or she will evaluate your injuries and recommend the best treatment. Documenting your injuries with medical records will play a big role in determining the value of your case.
- Say Nothing to Insurers: After a Lyft accident, the rideshare company’s insurance company will likely want to speak to you about your case. However, you should avoid speaking to them without an auto accident lawyer Lakeland, FL residents trust. They may try to take advantage of you otherwise.
- Hire a Lawyer: Because Lyft accidents involve so many complexities, it’s more important than ever to hire a lawyer. A Lyft accident lawyer in Lakeland, Florida will help you gather evidence, negotiate with the insurance company and protect your legal rights.
If you were hurt in a Lyft accident, contact a Lyft accident lawyer in Lakeland, Florida.