A Slip and Fall Attorney Longwood, FL Clients Trusts Discusses Slip and Fall Accidents
What types of accidents are usually classified as slip and fall accidents?
There are multiple types of incidents which can be classified as a slip and fall accident. In addition to slipping on a substance which can cause the victim to fall, including water, ice, and oil, another type of incident which can cause a person to slip is tripping on an item or object that causes the victim to fall. Victims can also pursue a slip and fall accident claim even if they did not actually fall to the ground after they slipped or tripped. For example, it is not uncommon for a victim to twist and contort their body, regain their balance, and avoid falling. However, that twisting can cause significant damage and injury to the victim.
What steps should a victim take if they are a victim of a slip and fall accident?
Victims should seek medical attention immediately to determine what injuries they have suffered. The victim should also make sure that medical personnel document the details of the fall, including where they fell and what caused them to fall. If they are able, the victim should take photos of the site where the accidents occurred, including the factors that caused the fall. If the victim is too injured, then a friend or family member should take the photos for them. These photos can be invaluable as evidence in any personal injury claim that may be filed.
If a victim slips and falls at work, can they file a lawsuit against their employer?
Typically, a slip and fall accident which occurs at work would file a workers’ compensation claim against their employer for these injuries and not a slip and fall accident claim. However, there may be extenuating circumstances to this. If the location where the victim fell is owned by another party, then the victim may be able to file a claim against that party. A slip and fall accident attorney will be able to evaluate a victim’s case and determine all liable parties.
What type of damages can a victim pursue in a slip and fall accident case?
Just like most accident claims, a victim is entitled to be compensated for all of the losses they suffer from injuries sustained in accidents caused by another party. These damages include:
· All medical expenses for treatment of the injuries, including emergency care, hospitalizations, doctor visits, physical therapy, medication, and medical equipment
· Loss of income from being unable to work, including loss of benefits, such as sick days, vacation days, or personal time
· Pain and suffering
· Emotional anguish
· Permanent disability
· Scarring or disfigurement
· Loss of life enjoyment
How long does a victim have to pursue damages against the owner?
Every state has a statute of limitations in place for how long a victim has to file a claim against an at-fault property owner or any other responsible party. The typical limit is two to three years from the date the injury was sustained. A Longwood FL slip and fall accident attorney will be able to explain what the statute of limitations is in your case.
f you were injured in a slip and fall accident, it may be necessary to consult with a slip and fall attorney Longwood, FL residents trust from David & Philpot P.L. We have helped many people like yourself receive compensation for slip and fall injuries. We offer free initial consultations, so there is no risk in speaking with us.
Steps to Take After a Slip and Fall Accident
If you were involved in a slip and fall accident that was caused by another person or entity’s negligence, you may be able to recover compensation for your injuries, as a slip and fall attorney in Longwood, FL can attest. However, in order to obtain that compensation, it’s important to act fast after the accident. Here are a few steps you may want to take following a slip and fall accident:
- Inspect the area: It may be a good idea to carefully look around the area to determine the reason for the fall, such as a spilled drink or loose carpeting. If you have your camera, take a few clear photos of the accident scene. This can all serve as evidence in court.
- Talk to witnesses: If there were other people present when you fell, don’t be afraid to ask them for their names and contact information. Your slip and fall attorney Longwood, FL clients respect may call on them as witnesses to testify on your behalf in court.
- Notify the owner or manager of the property: If the slip and fall accident occurred in a place of business, you may have to notify the owner or manager so that he or she can fill out an accident report.
- Seek medical attention: Even if you suffered seemingly minor injuries, it’s important to get medical care as soon as possible. A doctor can carefully examine your injuries and recommend the appropriate treatment. If you don’t get medical care right away, insurance adjusters may not believe you are truly hurt and deny your claim.
- Hire a Lawyer: To improve your chances of receiving fair compensation for your injuries, it may be in your best interest to hire a slip and fall attorney Longwood, FL residents count on. He may help you build a strong case and ensure your rights are protected.
What to Expect During Your Initial Consultation with a Lawyer
When you attend your first meeting with a Longwood slip and fall attorney, expect to be asked several different questions about your case. For example, your lawyer may want to know how the slip and fall accident happened and what injuries you suffered from it. If you have any evidence pertaining to the accident, such as medical records or witnesses statements, don’t forget to bring them with you to the consultation.
If you have any questions for the slip and fall attorney Longwood, FL clients depend on, do not hesitate to ask them.
If you are looking for a slip and fall attorney Longwood, FL offers, contact David & Philpot P.I. today.