If you have been involved in a truck accident you might be wondering whether or not you have a valid reason to file a personal injury claim. Realistically, there are several factors to consider which is why you should not waste any time in consulting the right truck accident lawyers Lakeland, FL resident’s prefer from David & Philpot, P.L.
Do I have a valid personal injury claim?
When a person is injured in a truck accident caused by the negligence or intentional harm of another party, they often turn to truck accident lawyers Lakeland, FL offers to learn what legal options are available to recover their damages. Even when the injury sustained by the victim is serious, there are many factors that should be considered before proceeding with legal action. When in doubt, contact a truck accident lawyers in Lakeland, FL from David & Philpot, P.L. We will provide you with a no-cost and no-obligation consultation to discuss your case.
What makes a personal injury claim valid enough to hire a Lakeland, Florida truck accident lawyer?
A personal injury claim may be 100% valid and should be pursued by the victim, but it may not warrant the representation of a lawyer. There are basically two scenarios:
- The claim is valid but the damages sustained are minimal. The smaller the claim’s value, the less likely the insurance carrier will fight you. By handling it on your own, you can avoid hiring a truck accident lawyer Lakeland, FL families can rely on. In addition, lawyers will usually not elect to represent a case if the value is too low to support their costs.
- The claim is valid and the damages sustained are substantial. In this scenario, the victim can also choose to represent themselves. However, the more damage involved, the more costly the damages are likely to be, and the larger payout the insurance company will have to provide the victim. When a claim’s value is substantive, the more likely the insurance company will dig their heels in and either deny the claim or else only offer a small percentage of what it’s actually worth. You can also count on the carrier to leverage their team of lawyers to fight your claim. If you hire experienced truck accident lawyers Lakeland, FL community members recommend to protect your rights, you increase your chances of a positive outcome. The difference between what you might receive as a settlement on your own and what your lawyer may negotiate on your behalf could be much more than what you will pay in legal fees.
How is a personal injury claim different from a lawsuit?
Many people who are injured by someone wish to sue that person for compensation. In some scenarios this is warranted, but most of the time it begins with a claim against the perpetrator filed by the victim’s lawyer. Here is how most injury cases play out:
- The victim’s lawyer determines the extent of their injuries and the costs associated with each, including medical treatment and sick day pay.
- The lawyer documents how the injury happened, who is responsible for having caused the injury, the total damages as well as any other pertinent information, and submits the claim to the at-fault person’s insurance company.
- If the insurance carrier offers a fair settlement to the victim, your lawyer accepts and takes their fee.
- If the insurance carrier offers a low settlement amount, the lawyer will negotiate to arrive at a fair offer.
- If the insurance carrier denies the claim, the lawyer will work with the carrier to provide the information needed for the claim to be accepted.
- If the insurance carrier refuses to act in good faith, either by not offering a fair settlement, or else continues to deny the claim, the lawyer may recommend to the victim that they follow up with a lawsuit.
To learn if you have a valid claim, contact the truck accident lawyers Lakeland, FL can count on from David & Philpot, P.L. today.